+2
Rune
Soran
6 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

The Hunting Grounds - Page 2 Empty Re: The Hunting Grounds

Post by Kira December 11th 2010, 2:13 am

As more member came to the area she greeted them with a smile and wag of a tail. She was happy to see the pack's members bonding like this. "It has been a long year..." she thought silently. She hoped that the pack's newest members would be able to learn some about the pack and get a formal greeting from everyone. It felt as if nothing could ruin this day. She smiled and closed her eyes as the wind ruffled her fur.
Kira
Kira
Scout

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 11th 2010, 10:02 am

(Ill Just hop in?)
Queen Trotted in she sighed and saw wolves she looked around for Rune and walked to him "Hello Rune" she said letting the wind push her fur

Back to top Go down

Post by Maiara December 11th 2010, 11:29 am

Maiara beamed happily at Rune,
"The elk of my choice eh? Hmmm..." She cast her gaze towards the ungulates, scanning the herd for the largest elk she could find. With the entire pack on the hunt, she couldn't resist a little extravagance. Finally she spotted a bulky, bull elk at the front of the group. Obviously the lead cow. If the pack managed to take down that male, not only would there be plenty of meat for everyone, but the herd would be at least momentarily confused and without leadership. Any wolf that wanted to take more prey would have an easier time. She had a moment of doubt, the bull was extremely large and she wasn't sure if the pack had ever taken down an elk of that size before. But as soon as her doubt came to her, it left. The pack had also never had a hunting party that consisted of so many wolves before.
"And," Thought Maiara, "who doesn't like a little challenge?" She nudged Rune's shoulder gently with her nose, "See the elk at the head of the herd?" she gestured with a paw, "That's the one."

(Maiara's going to be a bit reckless with her choice today :))
Maiara
Maiara
Scout

http://nayrugoddessofwisdom.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 11th 2010, 1:35 pm

Thorn watched warily as a few more wolves trotted in. She recognized Queen and Alex, but there was a male (Bandit) that she didn't recognize. He seems very happy and friendly. I guess I'll meet him at some point today. But I'm not going to go introduce myself again. Too much. Maybe I'll get to know the others a bit more while hunting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rune December 11th 2010, 2:10 pm

“Good Morning Queen, I’m glad you could join us today.” Rune called out in a low voice as his ears caught her greeting. With Maiara’s, gently nudge Rune turned his gaze upon the herd of elk once more. His bright golden eyes studying the elk the female had chosen. As a large jaunty smile appeared upon his muzzle, Rune nodded in agreement. “As you wish” he said as he batted her playfully on the side with his paw.
Rune
Rune
Alpha

Character sheet
Life Points :
The Hunting Grounds - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue100/100The Hunting Grounds - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

http://www.banishing-winds.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 11th 2010, 4:39 pm

Karma smiled as other members came to the area. There werer a few she did not know, but was sure that it wouldn't remain so. Now on her paws, Karma took notice of Maiara poining out a rather large bull elk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 11th 2010, 7:12 pm

Queen Nodded "I'm Glad too!" Queen laughed Looking to Maiara "Perfect!" she said with a smile and a nodded she walked to Karma and smiled at her and looked to Mahina and smiled "just us 6?" she aseked

Back to top Go down

Post by Kira December 11th 2010, 7:37 pm

As Maiara made the decision to go for the bull, she smiled happily. She looked at the herd below the hill, her eyes shimmering like pools of water.

[lame D:]
Kira
Kira
Scout

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 11th 2010, 7:48 pm

(I just want to remind everyone that wolves do not have enough leg muscle to jump on a prey's back. It is virtually impossible for a wolf to jump and latch itself upon another animal bigger than it, wolves always attack from the sides. Attack from the back risks kicks to the head, and attack from the front risks impalement.)

Zephyr walked slowly ahead through the trees, her nose to the ground being tickled by the grass. The pack had gathered below for a hunt, and she watched intently the body language that passed between them. She noticed Maiara choose the kill and was almost angry with the alphess. Not only was the hunt selection unwise and called for extreme muscle, it almost guaranteed injury and high unsuccessful rate. They would have to travel for miles and days to wear the bull down. The black female shook her coat free of dust with a silent scoff.
She stayed where she was, perched on a hill only half a mile away. It was clear she was there but her intent was cryptic, undecided whether she wanted to join or not. It was help and risk life, or not help and risk hunger. She would be lousy at pinpointing a place to lunge for the kill, seeing as she only had one eye that worked, but if she could herd the elk forward and make them run then her task could be completed without a high risk.
"Seven." Zephyr added quietly as she stole ahead to face the leaders. "Though I ask no physical force to attack be brought on my part."

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver December 11th 2010, 8:38 pm

With the pups safely tucked in the den, Silver was free to run full speed to the hunting grounds. Her tail streaked behind her, her entire being a white blur. Laughs of delight could be heard, echoing through the forest.

She tore into the clearing, though running fast she was quiet as a ghost. She picked up her front paws, as her back dug into the soil. Her front then touched the ground, digging in as well. She slid to a quiet stop, panting. Her green eyes gleamed with delight, excitement coursing through her.

"Let's hunt!" she breathed.
Silver
Silver
Scout

Character sheet
Life Points :
The Hunting Grounds - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue100/100The Hunting Grounds - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kira December 11th 2010, 9:08 pm

Kira jumped back as she heard Silver. A smile fell across her muzzle "Hey Silver" she said, her tail wagging, happy to see her friend again.
Kira
Kira
Scout

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 11th 2010, 9:22 pm

Thorn looked over, hearing Kira. "Hello Silver!" She greeted the white wolf with a wag of the tail. My tail....It's wagging. It hasn't done that in forever... Thorn smiled brightly. This pack must be special. Hopefully it's the one for me. I feel like I belong here...It's a new feeling for me. Nothing can ruin this day! "Today is going to be great." Thorn said to no one in particular, "I can feel it."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 12th 2010, 1:41 pm

Karma turned as Zeph arrived. She smiled that another member had joined them. "Hello, Zeph."

Back to top Go down

Post by Maiara December 12th 2010, 2:05 pm

"Seven. Though I ask no physical force to attack be brought on my part."

Maiara smiled, glad to have another joining the attack on their massive prey,
"We ask you for no more than you've given. I'm glad you came." Unease crept up on her again, but was soon dismissed. If the pack could not bring down the elk she had chosen, they would go after more easy prey. But this day was that of celebration and Maiara could think of no better way to celebrate than to take down such a brute and have a feast large enough to feed all the pack. It was true that luck was against them, but she had faith in her pack. They would rise to the challenge presented to them. In the middle of her thought process, Rune batted her playfully with a paw, distracting her. She composed a face of mock offense and flicked her tail, feigning annoyance. But she could not hold up the jest for long, as a laughing smile shone through her mask.
"Well then, shall we begin?" she inquired, walking over to Mahina, the first traces of adrenaline beginning to pump through her veins.

(I may have mixed up the course of events...)
Maiara
Maiara
Scout

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 12th 2010, 2:11 pm

Zephyr nodded to Karma with a quiet gaze. Her thoughts had been occupied, her tactician mind was working. Yet, it was not her job to call the shots of the hunt, no matter how impossible it was. Zeph sat beside Karma and flicked her tail around her paws.
"Who shall do what task, Maiara?" She asked, not only calling on the female's eagerness, but also on her mistake of not explaining the hunt before asking to do it. It was just a simple question though, innocent enough in its on right, but it did call on more to the mind than it seemed, and the intent was still untold by Zephyr.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 12th 2010, 2:25 pm

Alex watched the others as they all gathered together, he sat down his tail laying on the ground. He sniffed the air smelling the scent of many Elks, He shook his fur getting rid of all the snow that took place on it. He yawned and leaped onto rocks, testing himself once again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maiara December 12th 2010, 2:31 pm

"Ah yes," Maiara muttered to herself, appalled at her mistake, reminding herself to remain levelheaded even in a situation of such excitement. "Thank you Zephyr," she said, truly meaning her words.
"As some of you have already heard, we will begin by charging at them as one, then halfway to the herd we will divide into groups: Kira, Thorn, Karma and Rune will go to the left, and Silver, Zephyr, Mahina, and myself will go to the right. This way we will be able to flank them, leading them to scurry into disarray in attempt to escape. Remember to keep your wits about you, we don't need anyone getting trampled today. From there we will attack the large elk over there," she continued, pointing again to the brute, displaying an air of confidence, not wanting to seem as though she were doubting her own judgment. "This one has large antlers, especially deadly. I should hope I needn't have to remind you never to attack from the front," she said with a laugh; she sounded like her mother, chiding a group of fully grown wolves who naturally knew better than to attack any prey head-on.

Last edited by Empress Maiara on December 12th 2010, 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maiara
Maiara
Scout

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 12th 2010, 2:40 pm

The plan wasn't very in depth at all. This gave Zephyr some freedom to set up multiple scenarios in her mind. If they split into groups too soon and too wide, the elk might be driven inwards, and crashing into each other. The wolves would be charged and a mass stampede would happen. Or, if one came on ahead, others on the sides far away, the one wolf could get them to run forwards and the groups could close inward. The one wolf could go around a certain group and narrow the herd the opposite direction, thus cutting off the lead bull in the front.
Zephyr dared not upstage the alphess, instead she kept quiet to herself. As much as she wanted to point out the mistake, talking out of turn almost got her killed in her old pack, never again would she do the same mistake.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maiara December 12th 2010, 3:00 pm

" I understand that this is all very vague. If anyone has any thoughts on how to improve this plan, I encourage it. This is a pack hunt after all, in order to succeed we must work together." continued Maiara, trying to emphasize the importance of team-work so that during such an important day, no one would be left out or ignored as some often were on an average day. Today the pack was one, and she wanted everyone to be involved.

(lame post)
Maiara
Maiara
Scout

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 12th 2010, 3:35 pm

Mahina stole a quick glance to the herd, who were still grazing peacefully. "Stick to the undergrowth until we got the elk surrounded, we don't want to get charged." Slowly, she looked to her paws, her twisted one splayed out in front of her. Sighing to herself she tried to put some weight on it, only to have it fail under her, making the femme lose her balance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver December 12th 2010, 4:08 pm

Silver looked at the elk, thinking hard. Strategies of taking it flicked through her head, most foiled by the antlers. One stood out, however, and she thought harder on whether it would work. Her green eyes sparked with excitement, her tail flicking in anticipation.

"I am a very good jumper, " she began, "perhaps I will get the chance to leap onto it's back. It may be too high, but maybe. Then I can get the back of it's head and..." She made a violent gesture with her front right paw.
Silver
Silver
Scout

Character sheet
Life Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 12th 2010, 4:18 pm

((Note: When hunting, wolves will attempt to conceal themselves as they approach their prey. With ungulate herds, they then either attempt to break up the herd, or isolate one or two animals from it. If the targeted animal stands its ground, the wolves either ignore it, or try to intimidate it into running. With larger animals, the chase is prolonged, in order to wear the selected prey out. Wolves usually give up chases after 1–2 km (0.62-1.3 mi), though one wolf was recorded to chase a deer for 21 km (13 mi). Sometimes, a single wolf will distract the herd with its presence, acting as a decoy, while its pack mates attack from behind. Wolf packs may also set up ambush trails; Indian wolves have been observed to chase gazelle herds through ravines where other wolves lie in wait within holes dug prior to the hunt, while Russian wolves will set up ambushes near water holes, sometimes using the same site repeatedly. Both Russian and North American wolves have been observed to drive prey onto crusted ice, precipices, ravines, slopes and steep banks to slow them down.))

"Maybe we can ambush it?" Mahina looked around the valley below, seeing plenty of ditches to hide it, some could chase the elk towards wolves that would hide in there. The elk would be taken by surprise, and not have enough time to fight back or turn.

(Lame post)

EDIT:

((As Zeph said before, wolves do not have near enough muscle in their back legs to even attempt getting onto the back of a bull elk. While wolves can jump 10 feet from a stand still, they can hardly jump 2 feet while moving))

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 12th 2010, 5:20 pm

Thorn watched everyone throwing out ideas. She, on the other hand, had no clue how to hunt as a pack. She had been living on her own for quite some time, so this concept was all new to her. She just stood there, head down, listening to the others. "I'm not quite so strong, but I run fast. If you need a decoy, I'm your wolf." Thorn mumbled, wondering if anyone would hear her over the jumble of thoughts being spoken.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soran December 12th 2010, 6:43 pm

Soran’s head snapped backward in surprise as reality hit him. What was he doing there? Wasn’t that Rune’s howl that had just echoed a while ago? Cursing himself, the male leapt to his paws and started off towards the hunting grounds at a breakneck pace. Some lead hunter he was...

His paws skidded to a stop as he saw the rest of the pack resting in a large group at the edge of the prey filled valley. Still questioning his rank, the hunter slid into the tall grass careful, his nose twitching with the scents of the elk herd below. He felt his head bump slightly against a familiar brown figure of his mate. “Has the hunt already started?” He asked Mahina, embarrassed by his late arrival to the packs hunt.
Soran
Soran
Scout

http://SoranofAvalor.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 12th 2010, 9:52 pm

"Not to be too forward but there is sure to be disaster if all the elk go inward trying to escape due to our blocking them." Zephyr quieted after this, still working everything out. She didn't like hunting, even if it saved her life at times. Too much risk and too much use of the strength she didn't have. Even if all of the wolves go in to take the bull, that means all of them must stay on the offense.
(lame

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum